Friday, November 12, 2010

Love for Lichtenstein

Regardless if art makes your top ten loves list or not, everyone has a favorite artist.  You may not even know his/her name, it might just be a piece you saw in that one gallery in New York your family drug you too in high school or maybe you know their life story, but there is a favorite.  My favorite artist is Roy Lichtenstein!  He's a pop artist, often loved by those who also love Andy Warhol, but their art is quite different.  I would LOVE to own an original at some point in my life, but considering he has work in the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) I realize my chances are quite slim hahaha

I was going through an artistic slump last winter, it was during my midwinter break and I had an entire week break from my grad school and decided to use that opportunity to make art... however when I whipped out my sketchbook and sat down to draw I was having some serious artist block... I decided to back to a practice we learned in school, start drawing one of your favorite pieces by one of your favorite artists and have it take on a life of its own one you get started.  The obvious choice was Roy Lichtenstein's "Drowning Girl", by far my favorite art piece ever.  

My piece ended up being quite similar, but I decided to do mine in linoleum block print form and hand print it, hence the uneven ink pattern.   Sure enough, it helped lift the artist block too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment